Fatteh is a must to add to a lavish mezze spread. Variations exist, yogurt remains the main ingredient. Choose chickpeas, fried eggplant (also small stuffed with a meat mixture), boiled chicken, and other ingredients to make fatteh. I will develop each recipe later.
- 1 cup of cooked chickpea (soaked overnight with ½ tsp bicarbonate, rinsed and cooked)
- 1 ½ cups of yogurt / labneh mixture (for 1 kg (2.2 lb) of yogurt add 300 g of strained yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt to taste
- Arabic bread cut in squares (deep-fried or toasted)
- 2 tbs of pine nuts
- 1 tbs of clarified butter
- Cayenne pepper or red pepper powder (Aleppo)
Method of preparation:
1. Fry the pine nuts in the clarified butter. Strain from excess oil. Set aside.
2. Crush the garlic with salt in a mortar with a pestle. Add the mixed yogurt and labneh. Taste, add more salt if needed. Simmer on very low fire.
3. In a serving bowl, pour chickpeas (simmering on the fire), strained from cooking water.
4. Top with the warm yogurt mixture.
5. Garnish with bread and pine nuts. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper or red pepper powder.